Kyme The former captain of the Lamma Dragons, who went on to become a international dragon boat paddler for Great Britain, Derek Kyme, has returned to Hong Kong to compete in the Laracy & Co Lamma International Dragon Boat Festival 2011 being staged on Sunday 15th May at Tai Wan To Beach, Lamma Island, Hong Kong.
Kyme, affectionately known as ‘Del’, skippered the Lamma Dragons men’s team to an unprecedented second place at the Stanley races in 2000. After leaving Hong Kong to return to the UK in 2003 he was selected for the Great Britain senior team and went on to represent his country around the world in three World Championships and three European Championships, most notably winning a gold medal in the 500m competition at the 2004 European Championships.
“It’s brilliant to be back in Hong Kong,” said Derek, “I’ve still many friends here and it’s wonderful to see them again.”
“I’m really looking forward to getting back in the boat again for Lamma Dragons in the Laracy & Co Lamma 500. I’ve heard so much about the Festival, I just can’t wait!” said Derek.
“It’s great to have an international paddler of Del’s calibre coming back to his dragon boating roots and competing at the Lamma 500,” said Event Director Brad Tarr.
“He’s paddled at the highest level all around the world, with success too,” Brad continued.
The Laracy & Co Lamma International Dragon Boat Festival 2011 starts at 9am at Tai Wan To (Powerstation) Beach, Yung Shue Wan, Lamma Island Hong Kong.
Entry for spectators is free and food and drinks are available at the beach.
Great Britain International Derek ‘Del’ Kyme Dragon Boat Bio:
- 2000 – Stanley Races, Hong Kong – Lamma Dragons 2nd place
- 2004 – European Championships – GB senior crew Gold 500m, Silver
- 100m, Silver 200m
- 2004 – World Championships, China – GB Senior crew
- 2005 – World Championships, Berlin, Germany – GB senior crew
- 2005 – Masters International, The Great River Race (26 miles, over 300 boats) 1st place setting a course record of 2hr 6min, 33 secs
- 2006 – European Championships, Prague, Czech Republic Silver 2000m, Silver 500m, Silver 200m
- 2007 – European Club Crew Championships, St Petersberg, Russia
- 2008 – European Championships, Saubaudia, Italy Silver 500m, Bronze 2000m
- 2009 – World Championships, Prague, Czech Republic – GB senior crew
For further information contact: email@example.com[/content][/efcb-section-html]